Thursday, November 30, 2006

On second thought...

Well, just make a liar out of me! After that whole introvertist manifesto last night, I go around being totally chatty and sociable all day today. Hm, well, I guess, being the complicated organisms we are, you can never just pidgeon-hole people -- including yourself. (Either that, or that Myers-Briggs test was pretty accurate when it pegged me as an E/INFP, which means equally balanced between extroversion and introversion.)

Okay, how about this: a lot of the time I like to chat and hang out. But if I'm just sitting there listening rather than talking, please do forgive me, and don't take it as a sign that anything's wrong. I'm just letting my inner introvert out for some exercise. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it just shows that you are a well rounded person. I know that's what one would expect to hear from one's mom, but it really is true. You can be on when you need to be or when you want to be, but you are also comfortable enough with yourself that you don't always need other people to feed your sense of well-being. There are some people who truly enjoy lots and lots of socializing but I'm with you. I need a certain amount of time by myself, usually just puttering around the house, to feel grounded. It all comes down to making choices in life. There are only so many hours in each week. After all of our obligatory activities (like work!) we must then choose what to do with the hours that are left to us. It's difficult to cultivate and nurture a large social circle if you also want to spend time with family, spend time alone and let's not forget that most of us don't get enough sleep! Just remember that your choices must be based on what's best for you and your well-being and not what everyone else wants of you. I'm not saying never take into consideration someone else's wants or needs, but it's better to have a just few strong friendships that you have the time to nurture than a lot of so-called friends you feel obligated to spend time with. You can't be all things to all people. So be good to yourself first and the rest of it will fall into place.

Amy said...

Spending time with people is the yang, when I go out and spend my energy, and being alone is the yin, when I recover and recenter. I'm XNFP too :-) It feels more accurate to say I'm an introvert who likes people, though.

And Connie... I agree with all that, and couldn't say it better.