Well, that cinches it. November, I'm sorry, I know you're my birth-month and all, but you haven't been so very kind to me this year. I'm afraid we have to end it. Don't try to talk me out of it; I already have a date with December this Friday.
See, in order to balance the karma a little, the Powers That Be saw fit to whittle down my fabulous wealth last Sunday night. I just happened to be carrying around some extra cash; which never I do, except that Anna had paid me back for something and I just hadn't gotten around to getting to the bank to deposit it. Besides, it's surprising how often places only take cash around here: the doctor's office, most restaurants, the cell phone store where I recharge my minutes; often even train tickets can only be paid for with cash. So I really wasn't in an urgent hurry to get these 135 Euros into the bank, since having them around was turning out just to be so darned practical. Plus I liked logging into online banking, to see that my balance hadn't moved. I thought, maybe this is how I'll budget myself: take a little bit out, and see how long it can last me before I have to dip into my checking account again.
On the other hand, every time I opened my wallet, I winced a bit to see that much liquid cash. Just has never sat right. Back in Tucson, when I'd accumulate more than 50 bucks at a time, it was away to an ATM to get it somewhere safe!
Well... nothing like being proved right. I guess. At the Frankfurt airport last Sunday night, I also had another first, which was to leave my purse on a bench as I leapt for an S-Bahn. Seriously, I've never done that before! Although, to be fair, I've also never lived in a truly cold climate since I've started carrying a purse, and so what with gathering up sweater and leather jacket, you don't immediately detect that that something's missing. Until five minutes later, when you get off the S-Bahn. I ran back to every place I had been in the last half an hour, including that bench and the bathroom, but no dice. Purse gone. I started having daymares about having to replace my passport before flying home in December; about not having my housekey; having no ID, no money, no anything; about identity theives posing as an American on a visa. I mean, German beaurocracy is bad enough -- but trying to sort out an identity theft on top of it all, while trying to re-instate yourself as a legal resident?? AAAAAAA!!!
So while I was hyperventilating, the police found the purse and called me in. Amazingly, everything was still there: passport, keys, phone, chapstick, credit cards, cappuccino receipts, even the check Dad and Sarah had sent me for my birthday. Everything except the 135 Euro. The shock of having lost my purse, and then having found it again almost intact less than an hour later, only to then re-discover that I had been relieved of the small fortune I knew I shouldn't have been carrying around, was too much. I should have been thanking my lucky stars that everything else was still there, unstolen and (most likely) unphotocopied. At least, now I appreciate that. But there was this saddening feeling of realizing that some people are capable of rifling through your very personal belongings, seeing what kind of gum you chew and which scent you wear, even your name and where you're from and what you look like -- essentially be able to look you right in the printed eye, and still have no qualms about stealing your money from you. Maybe they thought I was a rich American tourist, instead of a poor foreign teaching assistant whose mom and sister paid her credit card bills last month. They probably weren't thinking that far at all. They just saw cash, took it, and didn't want to get caught with the rest. It was actually found by a maintenance guy on the same bench I left it. I suspected him, but the police pointed out that it would be pretty stupid to be the one to both steal it and turn it in, where it is then immediately noticed that money is missing. There was nothing they could do except file a police report for my "insurance company." (I guess most Germans have insurance for everything, even personal theft.) Well, I have emergency medical insurance, and that's pretty much it.
But you know what? I woke up yesterday morning and was overcome with gratitude that everything else was still there. I am out one-fifth of a month's pay, but other than that, this will have no truly lasting effects. As Mom once said: it's not that I'm lucky because nothing bad ever happens to me. Part of it is simply, on those few occasions when something bad does happen, it's never so bad as it could -- maybe even should! -- have been. So I'll just restock the rice and beans in the cupboard, cut out the morning cappuccino, and enjoy this beautiful almost-December air. It's foggy outside, and looks whiter and winterier than it has in weeks. School is going fabulously (I love my job!), and there are lots of fun things coming up in the next few days: Nigel coming to visit this weekend, a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) with some teacher friends on Friday, a party on Saturday, and maybe frying up some fajitas with the Hamanns on Sunday.
If you're family or friends reading this, I'm not writing this so that anyone will worry! There's nothing to worry about! I'm not carrying around any cash any more, my purse is all but stapled to my side, and I can still pay my rent next week. And that's really the only kind of crime around here anyway, this petty "opportunity theft". Furthermore, even that was in Frankfurt, not quaint little Neustadt. So, again, no worries! I'm fine! I'll just have to teach my purse some Taekwondo.
However, let this be a lesson to anyone who could use it! DO NOT CARRY MUCH CASH! Especially those of you in the States, for whom it's not even very necessary to do so. Heh, the cop even scratched his head when I told him how much had been in there. "Really?" he said, "Odd. Americans don't usually carry cash around." I told him he would be right... usually. Sigh. Oh well.
Oh, but speaking of German conceptions of American habits, I just realized I haven't written yet about Anna's and my funny little experience at the doctor's office! Gotta go for now, but more on that later. Coming to a blog near you!
Happy almost-December, everybody. :o) Hugs from almost-Christmas-Season Land!
5 comments:
Oh, Nik! What a rude awakening! But, you're right -- it could have been so much worse, I guess -- SO glad it wasn't!! I think you read at least parts of my "Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy/1st Year/Toddlers" books, right? I always remember one part especially, because it is so true so often: You're almost always lucky enough to get a good scare before real trouble happens. The kid always ALMOST gets to your steaming cup of coffee, stopping your heart, just in time to remind you to wake up (sometimes literally!) and pay more attention. You got your scare and who knows what it'll save you from... Some people will also call it serendipity or a 'sign' -- the key is to notice it.
I was wondering where you were the last couple days....
Welcome, December! and here's to excellent GOOD luck for Nikki!!
Wow,
I was kinda freaking out a bit for you half way through your story thinking, "Exactly how does one re-instate oneself as a legal resident with ID gone?"
Glad to hear it (mostly) worked out. Reminds me of when your car was stolen, then found not too long later - although I think it was stolen again, so maybe that is a bad example ;)
In any event I'll be sure NOT to bring loads of cash with me and I am DEFINATELY leaving my purse at home! :)
Don't feel too bad...
Earlier this month, on a pitch dark evening I filled my left hand with a huge wad of cash, rolled down my drivers side window, stuck out my arm, opened my hand, and stupidly fluttered out over $180.00.
Oh, wait, what I meant to say was, I kept pressing on the gas pedal in crowded traffic on the interstate, and passed a hiding state trooper. Either way... So long money. I still haven't forgiven myself. >(
I wasn't even going as fast as he said, but as Aesop's owl once said, "I'm sure you're guilty of 'something'." So I guess I got an expensive lesson in "SLOW DOWN AND DRIVE SAFER, AH!!!"
(Sigh*)
I love you... and feel your pain.
Your Dad was relaying his comments at the dinner table this evening.... Katie's response: Thanks alot, brain!
ha! out of the mouths of babes....
That sucks... and it sucks more the more you need what you lost. But I find it only costs a little more to relax than to stress about a bunch of stuff, and while it's really hard not to kick yourself for some things, remind yourself repeatedly that worrying doesn't help; the best you can do is set a pattern of making sure you have all your stuff with you.
And... "I already have a date with December this Friday"... that's a great line :-) "Welcome, my dark, cool, suave December..."
Post a Comment