Since June should really be its own entry, I'll start in the middle of July, when Mom & I headed out toward Regensburg to visit my friend Sara. She just moved to that area in July with her husband, Jared, a hippie-turned-soldier who's had some pretty unbelievable adventures in the Army before they finally got stationed in cool, green, relatively non-bomb-throwing Europe. It was so great to catch up with Sara again. We hadn't seen each other since she -- herself a hippie-turned-soldier -- left Tucson for said Army in 2003, and yet it was like almost no time had passed. Except for her having a husband and two adorable children! We had a lovely time: explored the town, ate famously delicious Bratwurst, drank beer, chased kiddies, escaped from the Gasthaus.
Oh yeah, the Gasthaus. For the most part, she seems to be settling into Germany pretty well; except for the first couple of weeks, when the whole family was stuck in two rooms in this bizarrely large, yet otherwise weirdly empty, Gasthaus on the lonely end of a sparse collection of houses that somehow, somewhen was generously granted its own name and "village" status. There wasn't even a bus going out there from the equally spooky train station twelve kilometers away... although after half an hour of trying, we did finally get a hold of the only taxi cab within a 30-kilometer radius. I mean it, the only one! Be sure to make your booking in advance! Might be charming, if it weren't completely maddening. Sara and Jared were ready to start throwing themselves against the walls by the end of Week Two, and I considered buying them a large mirror to make them think they had more space -- and maybe even roommates who looked just like themselves -- until they were finally able to buy a car and move into a real house in a real town nearby. I'm really looking forward to visiting again at the end of August.
But first, it was off to Scotland for Mom's momentous move! Check out her blog for details on our fabulous weekend hanging out in pubs and stomping our feet to live Celtic folk music -- IIIII mean, of course, registering her for classes and looking for apartments. (Come on, we did a little of that, too!)
Inverness is seriously great. Not only is everyone friendly and the town cute, but for such a middle-sized community (70,000, I think?), it's also hopping! There's always some event going on. And in the pubs, people actually dance: that kicking, jumping, Scottish-looking dancing that everyone must learn in school or something because they all look really good doing it. And of course you, as a Not Scot, don't even contemplate getting up and joining them because they're all so, you know, authentic, and you're, like, this dorky tourist and stuff. So you just sit at your table bouncing in your seat and having some more whisky. Until the Scots catch you at this -- then you are pulled quite bodily into the ruckus and your whisky-lubricated feet miraculously find their own rhythm. We had way too much fun, and Mom made way too many new friends!, for us to dwell too much on the sadness of Monday's inevitable parting.
But even the journey back to Edinburgh, while a bit melancholy, was very beautiful. The Highlands really look just like they do in the films. The train pulled out of Inverness into a low-hanging dawn, and I spent three hours watching the mist swirl between mountains and over rocky brooks that wound their way through dark purple heather. Kind of matched my mood. Add some atmospheric music to the mp3 player (in fact the "Gladiator" soundtrack is superb for watching landscapes) and you have yourself one transcendental train ride.
I didn't have too much time to brood, however, because the following weekend ging es gleich wieder los. Bert and I drove down to his mom's place on the Bodensee and, along with his dad and uncle, celebrated Gert's birthday. And I discovered where the sun goes to when it's on vacation from Scotland! On Friday night, we set up a tent under the apple trees in a garden overlooking the water, roasted potatoes in a campfire, and drank beer under the Milky Way until we simply couldn't stay awake any later.
By eight-thirty the next morning, we were waking up to the smell of fallen apples; taking a dip in the Bodensee; drying off on the grass in the sunshine; then having lunch in a Biergarten before driving out to yet another lake for frisbee and more basking in the sun. I tell you, it was vacation. Even the climate reminded me a bit of California: that golden light and soft air... riding along the coast with the windows down, summer-clad, cool wind on your sunwarmed skin, watching the light flash off the water and glow through ranks of graceful white sails.
On Sunday it was pretty hot, so on the drive home, we made a stop to walk through a lovely Altstadt and have ice cream coffee.
We stopped again near sunset because we spotted another lake from the road and simply had to get out of the car and jump in it.
Monday, I actually -- gasp! -- got some work done. And then on Tuesday, Steve came!! He stopped through Frankfurt on his way to visit Shauna in India, so we got a whole day and night to play together. Which he and Bert took full advantage of, too -- I had no idea how late they were up hanging out until I tried to wake them up to trundle them off to their respective airports and jobs. Last word was that Steve made his flight on time... it makes me happy to think of him and Shauna reunited now!
So here it's Wednesday night, and Bert and I are already checking the weather to see how it will be in Bremen this weekend. He's got friends up there who've been bugging him to come up and visit for years, so it looks like we're escaping this wine country heat to check out some more ships, this time zurück in the cool north.
Anybody been to Bremen before, or Bremerhaven? Anything we should be sure to see? :)
5 comments:
Ooo, so much fun, and so pretty! Your camping trip sounds much like mine - lovely and excellent vacation. I should write about it and get the pics off John's camera - sooo pretty. Glad you to see Steve too :)
Speaking vacations, I decided to go to Hawaii this year after all, for my 10-year reunion (gasp!) - Aug 28 - Sept 10. You are, of course, highly welcome to join us, should you be able to make it :)
Oh man, I would LOVE to! Alas, not this year... but we definitely need to plan that in sometime. Or all meet up on Villeques. Or both. Yay, traveling orgy!
In the meantime, YES, post pics! Blog about trip! Since I just saw the fam in June, and am off to Wisconsin in September (woot!) I'm going through a bit of Amy withdrawal...
I'm so envious, I might have to stop reading your blog..... except that it's completely addictive and a mini-vacation in itself. Thankyouthankyouthankyou for sharing!!!!
We're so happy you're so happy! :-)
When Paul asked a couple weeks ago what you were up to, then Shauna, and I gave him an overview of the travels, he turned to James and said, "and we made it all the way to Madison! (roll of the eyes)" Granted, this was their longest trip with the twins, but for a former (and sure to be future) globetrotter, I think he was feeling that same envy. None of us would trade these little people for even a minute, but they really don't lend themselves to world travel. Someday........
I think the girls are finally old enough to really get something out of a trip to Europe, but I did have a dose of reality the other day...... We got into a conversation about our trip to Colorado last year, and what they remember the most..... first reaction: the best pool!!! In case you ever need to go, it's at the Comfort Inn on I-25 in Fort Collins, CO. ....then "the deer we saw out our hotel window in the Black Hills....and the awesome waffles we had for breakfast on the deck there!" To be fair, they do appreciate how beautiful the Black Hills and Rockies are, and how special many of their experiences were. There was a whole list I had to write down for the scrapbook because it made me laugh so hard. The cynical reaction: we could have driven 10 miles from home and stayed in a clean hotel and gotten the same effect. But truly, I think it was the adventure of the whole trip that made it so much fun. In the end, I admire how they remember the details I would never have seen without them (did you ever notice all the animals painted inside the parking garage in Vail?), and I'm glad I took tons of pictures of some of the bigger things they might have missed. They're good little travelers, and we'll bring them to you as soon as we can!!
Yeah, I miss my Nikki! Alas, now that I finally have excess vacation time, I can't afford to go much of anywhere...
Hahahahaha, it's so true!!
And great, how kids are so easy to please and excite. I can certainly recall family trips around the age of 7, where the most memorable things were undoubtedly those at the kids'-eye level. Playing license-plate games with Michael and Shauna in the back seat, bouncing on big smooth hotel beds, etc. Architecture? Mountains? Sure, part of the atmosphere, but it didn't matter how much effort it took to get there. You should have seen how shocked we were, fifteen years later, to realize how small Miesenbach really is!
I guess what counted more was the Whole Impression rather than *which* castles we were actually looking at... (I can't tell you how often Mom or Dad looks at me, puzzled, and assures me that I've been somewhere before. Really? We did? Oh yeah, with the huge fountain! *That's* where that was?)
Big big hugs to those girls until I can get there!!!
Post a Comment