Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wintry wonderings

You know, sometimes I think we humans have really forced ourselves into some unnatural behaviors. For example, aren't mammals supposed to sleep at some point in midday? Don't most mammals do this? Yet because we have mechanically-controlled schedules and a complex societal/economic infrastructure that requires the cooperation of more than just a small tribe of hunters, we can't allow ourselves this. "Thanks for the meeting, guys, sounds pretty interesting. Excuse me now while I sleep through the heat of midday." We allow this to children, but not to stressed-out, responsibility-laden adults. Why else do we all seem to experience that mid-afternoon drag? Some of us turn to snacks for energy, because we can't just lay down and sleep. Let's start a campaign for the good of humanity: More naps! Less sugar!

I think this is also a pretty good explanation for why people get grouchy and tired during winter. The sun is low; daylight is short. For centuries, this was when we -- out of necessity! -- stopped working in the frozen fields, and spent our time inside on small projects, passing the long evenings with stories and community. But now that we're no longer so dependent on daylight to carry out our tasks, we try to keep the same hours and activities that we do during the summer. Doesn't this just somehow seem... wrong? Artificial? In contradiction to our biological rhythms? As a result, we're tired; performance lags; we get cranky. Here I don't recommend that companies change their policies to account for "winter behavior", but maybe it would at least help us all individually to recognize that we're just going to feel a little less than 100% between November and March. Or, well, at least it helps me to recognize this! :)

Then, maybe I'm just particularly sensitive to all this "season" business, anyway. After spending so long in the desert, these irregularities in sunlight availability must be seriously impacting my system. I've never enjoyed spring so much as I did last year: "So that's where we get all these cliches about the Earth 'coming back to life'! It really does stir, like an old man slowly waking up." No wonder our ancestors could so easily personify Nature. Following this, the whole summer was just an orgy of energy and happiness and activity.

Come October, though, I started to noticeably slow down and get more pensive; and then by November, I'm downright sluggish. The effort to try to maintain the activity expectations set up by the summer makes me irritable. I've found myself sliding back into some of the melancholy thoughts I remember from last January: "Am I really making the right decisions, here? Where am I going with work? Why am I still broke? Am I actually a good language trainer, or will I get found out as a fraud at any moment? Why aren't I working on my PhD right now? Where's my family? Do I actually have a 'home' anywhere?"

The realization displeases me -- "I thought I was over this!" -- until I consider the possibility that maybe it's just the time of year for brooding. It would make sense: nothing has actually changed enough to justify my sudden, inexpicable shift in attitude, except the season. Maybe if it snowed here, the landscape would take on that soft, magical look that it lends the Erzgebirge, quieting the harsh lines of the bare tree branches and reflecting some of the low light back up into the sky. But in Ludwigshafen, it only rains, making the highrises uglier, wetter, and darker, and more visible through the naked trees. Ugh. At least the realization that it's probably just the time of year helps quiet inner concerns that I'm actually dissatisfied with my newly-made life.

This is certainly true of the daylight factor. Bert was the one who noticed it: he says I'm a bird. As soon as the sun comes up, "cheepcheepcheep!" I'm energetic and talkative and optimistic. But as soon as the towel is dropped back down over my birdcage, I get quiet and slow-moving again. He's right! Now that I thought to notice it, evidence is everywhere. If I have to get up before sunrise, the world, and my outlook, are gloomy and cranky. The moment it's light outside, I have this personality shift, and feel like a productive, successful contributor to society, in control of my day and my world. Weird. A little unsettling. And yet simultaneously comforting, in that any bouts of moodiness will probably shift back again naturally, come ten o'clock, or springtime.

The sheer realization of this appears to be a good coping strategy. The other two are 1) working out and 2) eating. Yesterday, the former was it: I punished that elliptical machine for an hour, pouring cleansing sweat, bathing my brain in oxygen, clearing out my insides with the simultaneously energizing and comforting rhythm of pounding feet and heart. I love that full-body swing that running/elliptical training facilitates. You feel so powerful and light, reveling in the primal joy of a healthy body's freedom of movement. Today, though, I could hardly muster enough energy to catch my Strassenbahn on time (it was also raining, which might contribute to the Sunlight Theory). When I got home, I proceeded to change into my pajamas, flop down on the couch, and eat the better part of a rather sizable bar of 80% dark chocolate, washed down with most of a bottle of red wine, plus a block of Swiss cheese, for good measure.

The only thing left to do is just hunker down and wait for March!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the weather does affect your moods. It's evident in your writings. During the spring, summer and autumn you bubble with enthusiasm for life. During the winter (as you have noticed)your attitude reflects whether you are surrounded by snowy goodness or just rain and clouds. It's a good thing to be so self-aware. Since you are probably not leaving Ludwigshafen anytime soon just do what you can to comfort yourself until the sun returns to rejuvenate you. Listen to The Beatles' Here Comes The Sun, wear snuggly clothes and watch funny movies as often as possible to keep yourself laughing. Certainly not a complete list but a start. I'm not so sure about the chocolate, red wine and swiss cheese, though. It might be hard to explain to Bert why you are drunk, hyper AND smell funny....

Anonymous said...

That's why my Dad calls it the Dark Ages -- after New Years to spring breakish. I think you both need those Seasonal Affective Disorder lights! Or, maybe that's the wrong direction to go in for a solution....
It's funny you posted this today -- I was just listening to a piece on NPR about how artificial light may affect our long term health as a species, causing chronic sleep deprivation. They did a study simulating winter daylight, giving people 14 hours of darkness to work with. They found that people naturally slept about 4 hours, had a "very tranquil awake period, kind of a meditation time" for a couple hours, then another 4 hours of sleep. Who gets the luxury of doing that anymore?? Then I guess when you have more daylight hours it's time to work in the siesta? Too bad we have to keep schedules and don't get to just do what our bodies request....
You're halfway through winter, Nik -- hang in there!! lots of hugs from all of us :-)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of dark, cold and winter, I'd like to share a moment of gratitude: The other night it was very cold outside, and it had snowed another six inches during the day. Sarah & I were upstairs in the loft just settling down with a warm cup of Sweet Dreams tea, a lap blanket, and chocolate in front of that giant DVD TV... waiting for the Daily Show. Suddenly, we heard a rumbling outside and peered down through the railing to see the headlights of Mike's plow truck barreling into that giant berm of snow at the end of the driveway pushing the snow up to make the mountain even higher. And then, more rumbling and roaring and scraping... and five minutes later they were gone. (The guy riding shotgun had jumped out to clear around the walk and front door.)
Sometimes it's good to be indoors.
Thanks, Mike!

Ahhhh... (stretch)... Life is good.


Stay warm darling... "I feel that ice is slowly melting."

=o)

Amy said...

Me too! I'm the same way! And that bird thing is so funny... and so true! If I wake up and see sunshine outside, I'm up - I want to go out and be in the world. If it's grey... ehn, ehn... I just want to stay inside my own head, particularly in my nice warm comfy bed.

I think snow does help in winter. I've gotten up to the snow a few times so far, and it's done wonders for my mood every time. Part of this is the novelty, but it's also... beautiful, and bright white! John and I just got snowshoes, and we tried them out once briefly, but it seems like an excellent way to get out into the winter wonderland - on snow, you don't have to look at your feet so much as on a regular trail, so you can look at the scenery more. Plus, it takes no special skill, so you're out and moving along immediately. I still wanna get good at cross country skiing, tho.

Other things I've found that help: get good lights - Reveal bulbs, that light therapy lamp that Shauna got me. Also, tanning beds! Don't go long enough to burn, but just 5 minutes gives me a good boost, and counters a lot of that dragging winter feeling.

Anonymous said...

..on the snowshoe business, apparently they may help keep you from going all the way down to the bottom of the lake, if you should happen to go through some ice....maybe you catch on fallen branches? I don't have direct experience here -- you'll have to ask Paul how Long Lake feels in March! The poor guy won't go in half the time in June because it's too cold, so he's blaming his unlucky pants for sending him for an untimely swim. Way off the subject -- just thought you might like that tidbit about snowshoes!
:-)