I notice that when I'm dressed for work, people approach me in public significantly more often than when I'm wearing, say, jeans. It can be for various reasons: they ask directions, make casual small talk while waiting for the tram, or offer a religious pamphlet. Mostly, though, it's a request for money. This includes both "normal" panhandlers and schoolkids needing donations for various projects, as well as those guys with clipboards who want you to sign up for this-or-that. Yet take away the slacks and button down shirt, and these same people walk right by me, headed for the other guy in the slacks and shirt. Funny, that the difference in behavior is so noticeable. I guess "jeans" must somehow equal "dicey bet," while "slacks" equal "probable high-paying business job." I'm polite, but usually decline (which makes me feel like Ebenezer Scrooge). I want to save them the effort by wearing a sign with my work clothes that says, "Teacher, sorry," accompanied by a little graphic of a fly escaping an empty cartoon wallet.
3 comments:
Maybe you should learn to say "Sorry, I don't speak German."... in Spanish. Or walk around with a crazed look in your eye while arguing out loud with someone who isn't there. Oh,, here's a good one...as soon as the person opens their mouth accuse them of trying to steal your umbrella! Don't forget to gesticulate wildly. Just a few suggestions. No no, don't thank me. I'm just glad to help.
You guys are so funny! I guess it's a matter of flip sides of a coin, huh? The same outfit that makes people more inclined to hire you also tells the rest of the world you were hired and have money to spend! ...and you are NOT Ebenezer -- do not feel bad about contributing first to your own personal charity (the one that pays for groceries and a roof and those nice button-down shirts)! I could go off on a whole tangent of taking care of yourself before taking care of others, but I'm afraid I'm not an expert on that yet....
So, back to your Mom's suggestions -- just don't scare the children :-)
"In my DAY, ya pan-handled with a HAT." And you kept it off yer head too. You tried to look meek and humble, and sometimes ya just sat there up against a building looking too weak to stand up with your hat on the sidewalk with a few primer coins in it. After a while you'd wander down to the Savior center for a couple stale donuts and a cup of weak coffee... And we liked it! We loved it! Dang it... (mumble mumble)
Post a Comment