A new roommate
My cozy apartment just got cozier, thanks to my new roommate from Dresden. He's quiet, doesn't eat much, and he sure smells good!
Lemme explain. The Erzgebirge is a mountain range near the eastern German border, which is famous for its woodcarving: especially around Christmastime, the area's hand-carved wooden figures, finely-cut Christmas tree decorations, Pyramiden (diaramas in which the figures spin around by means of a candles and wooden fans), and especially the characteristic Schwibbogen (arched candle holders with traditional images underneath) are staples even in western Christmas markets.
Pyramide:
Schwibbogen:
The most famous of the hand-carved figures, however, are the Räuchermännchen: "little smoking men". These are hollow, often wearing miners' costumes -- "Erzgebirge" literally translates into "ore mountains"-- and have round holes for mouths. When you place an incense cone inside one, the scented smoke comes drifting out of his mouth. Eeee! If ever smoking could be made adorable..! Anyway, they range anywhere in size from a couple inches to a couple feet. The problem is that, no matter how simple or detailed, their fame and quality make them pretty pricey. I was coveting every Räuchermännchen I saw when Bert and I visited the Annaberg Christmas market a couple weeks ago. Alas, they were too cute for my pocketbook.
Well! Bert went back to the Erzgebirge last weekend for his sister's birthday. And what did he return with? My very own Räuchermännchen! Except this guy isn't a miner -- he's a rockin' wizard. Delicately stained, with a long beard, walking stick, dark red hood, and heavy-lidded eyes, he is cool indeed. We lit him up (with appropriately-scented "wood moss" incense), and the long tube of smoke curling out of his mouth made him look strange and sorcerous. I wonder if he comes alive at night and casts spells? We shall see. I might wake up tomorrow morning in a forest of mushrooms.
staring:
smoking (while contemplating some spells):
Dunno about you, but I hear a men's choir when I look at him. Ahh, AAHHH, aaah!
So! What should I name him? Merdalf? Gandlin?
6 comments:
He is cool indeed! Shauna likes Merdalf. Gandlin is also good, however I personally think he looks like a Gandafar!
Oh! He's so cute!! I'll solicit names from the girls -- Katie's bound to come up with something interesting..... We pulled out my poor old Raucher the other day, along with pyramids -- makes the place so Christmasy! :-)
Katie says name him "Coo." See, I told you it would be interesting. She says it's short for cute!
Chloe says he looks like a Matthew to her.... She also misses you tons!!
You're going to have to stay another year --oops! did I say that? No, I wouldn't do that to your Dad!-- Anyway, we'll all have to travel back to hit the southern Weihnachtsmaerkte next year.... find ourselves some of those gorgeous wax angels and a few drunk monks! (wooden, of course) :-) Everything I have is a very small version because I didn't have any money either.... Good thing Christmas is about so much more!
...come to think of it, there's a Kaethe Wohlfahrt's south of Minneapolis -- that can be the abbreviated version of our trip, if need be....
And I miss Chloe and Katie tons! I also think we should give him lots of names... How about Merdalf Matthew Coo Eggers?
Post a Comment