A... thing.
Walking along the banks of the Rhein River, I came across this eerie apparition. At first I thought it was a clock. But look closer....
I later found out what it was, but first, any guesses (except the weirdest bit of creepiness you've ever seen)?
8 comments:
Hmmm, My first guess was a Metric Clock based on a 10 hour day. If not, then maybe a clock that shows, percentage-wise, how much of the day has elapsed? However, you alude to it not being a clock so I am stumped. I did noticed the hands are facing different numbers on the two faces showing in the picture. I assume the hands move "clockwise" and are not a countdown for something?
It is on the river bay you say? Does it display the depth of the river (6.7M)?
Not sure that is sufficiently creepy enough.
It can display any number from 0-99 so I bet the locals can just make up a "purpose" for the "clock" to mess with the tourists' heads.
Local person to tourist...
"It is attached to the local 'BlitzBurger' - Over 6.7 billion served!"
"We are keeping track of the human population..."
"You poor American, that is the current U.S. dollar to the Euro conversion, hahahaha!"
"It is our version of the Doomsday clock, when both hands reach 0, total global thermal nuclear war!"
"It has to do with the plague, go check it out..."
"The number of bodies we found in the river, this morning." Hey - now that's creepy!
"The distance, in lightyears, from the tip of the tower to the ever moving Halley's comet."
"Critics' rating on a scale of 1-10 for the film currently showing at the establishment."
"Number of days that have gone by without a tourist inexpicably disappearing...yeah, never goes more than 99 for some reason."
"Millions of years until the next ice-age. Stock up now."
"The current weight, in pounds, of Nicole Richie."
"The volume, in liters, of human blood that the bats who nest in that tower have consumed. Boo!"
"Number of guesses you'll need to finally figure out what it is."
ALRIGHT - let's have fun with this - anyone else? - toss in some good ones...
"Percent chance that you will catch the plague if you go inside."
"Today's rating of the structural integrity of the tower, don't get too close."
"That's how many brews are on tap in that there Biertürme"
"The Clock struck 13 as Nikki made her way across the courtyard..."
Hey, Nikki. Fun. My guess: a crematorium. If it's not that, then I would wager it's definitely a countdown of some sort (can't guess what for, though). I wonder if it measures something on an algorithmic scale, like a "Richter Clock." Is it some sort of WWII memorial?
Haha, good guess, considering every other edifice around here is some memorial or other. And Matt... jeez, where do I begin?
How about with this: your first guess was right. Yep, it measures water depth. :)
Pretty unclimactic, huh? But maybe that's only what they *say*...!
Post a Comment