Because a blog often consists, simply by nature, of self-indulgent ramblings, I'll start this post by observing that I have weird joints. Specifically, I think my bones might somehow be more loosely connected than most peoples'... For example, I remember doing crescent kicks in Taekwondo when I was seventeen -- an action requiring one to swing one's entire extended leg in an arc from the hip joint -- and having to subtly twitch my hip afterward in order to "click" the femur back in place. A year later, I sprained an ankle after a jump side-kick because the foot I landed on bent sideways toward my leg, and ended up on crutches for three weeks. Two years after that, I fell off a scooter and landed front down on both elbows, the result of which being that my right shoulder popped clean out of the socket. (It has never since rightly healed; the tendons in that joint have gotten so weak, in fact, that I am incapable of the simple motion of extending my right arm up and back without the shoulder slipping again -- to the accompaniment of excruciating pain. I know I need surgery, but what's a TA with minimal health insurance to do?) And actually, now that I think about it, even sometimes when chewing something especially crunchy, my jaw clicks slightly sideways and I have to un-stick it before proceeding. Does this herald a mass of joint problems in forty years? Am I going to get up from my rocking chair one day and collapse to the floor in a heap of disjointed skeleton? Just this afternoon, I stepped out of the drugstore and landed slightly unevenly on the same foot that was sprained eight years ago; by this evening, the danged ankle is swollen up and I can hardly put weight on it. That's not good. I walk everywhere. Well, lemme sleep on it and see how it is in the morning...
Anybody know any good remedies for too-elastic joints? :)
4 comments:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, my jaw pops ALL the time :)
Gosh,
I'm so sorry to hear bout your most recent bout. You could take suppliments, i.e. I think real gelatin actually helps the joints, and maybe do some exercises, but the best solution would be to come home to Wisconsin where we can nurture you for the rest of your life. =o)
We love you!!
Take it easy... and be good to you.
I've been called "hypermobile" or something to that effect by pretty much everybody who's tried to move my body around. People cringe when I straighten my elbows all the way. I've sprained both ankles several times, a wrist, and even an elbow. The only advice I've gotten is to work the muscles around the dangerous joints... may or may not be practical, especially if you have a lot of them.
Oh, yes, and I've also heard that glucosamine chondroitin is particularly good for joints, and MSM is helpful as well as keeping you from getting as sore after working out. I haven't sprained anything in about 5 years, and that's about as long as I've been taking those things, so who knows.
Post a Comment