Thursday, October 12, 2006

Italy and onion pie

Howdy out there! Just wanted to let y'all know that there might not be much new here until next week, when Anna and I get back from... dun da daaaaa... ITALY! Yeah! We found ueber-cheap tickets to Florence from Baden-Baden, so we thought we'd spend a couple of days exploring museums and lying on the beach. Sigh... it's terrible, trying to find ways to fill your time during a Fall Break. But I guess we'll manage!

(Gosh, what I am going to do when I actually have to start working again??)

We don't actually leave until Sunday afternoon, but tomorrow (Friday) Ivan and Nico are coming up from Munich to check out the Pfalz. The enchantment! The wonders! I'm excited, but I hope they don't mind that it's a real change from big-city Muenchen... well, I'll probably keep so much wine in them that, should they actually have any memory of the trip afterward, then that will be a sure sign of having missed the opportunity to fit in one more glass of ambrosiac, jewel-colored fluid.

Speaking of company, I finally met Conny's cousin yesterday! They're actually second cousins; but his name's Bert, and he lives/works in Ludwigshafen, which is about a 20-minute drive from Neustadt. We'd been meaning to get in touch this whole last month, and what with all this wild-and-craziness, I just never quite found the opportunity. So finally yesterday, we met up at Cafe Bassler in the Innenstadt (the oldest cafe in town, I might add!), from which we promptly drove to a winery in Hambach and sampled what they had to offer. Conny's right, Bert is a super-nice guy. He pretty much went out of his way to show me around some of the other Weindoerfer in the area; which are too far to walk to without making it a major expedition, but I just haven't taken the time to figure out the bus system, yet. So we visited Bad Duerkheim, a cute little town all lit up at night, and tried the Zwiebelkuchen (onion pie -- better than it sounds! downright delicious!) in a restaurant that's built inside an enormous wine barrel. Conny, I meant to take a picture for you; I'll have to do that next time! :)

Okay, gotta get this place cleaned up a bit for Besuch tomorrow. Hope all's well out there in Interwebland! ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you actually ate Zwiebelkuchen! Oh YUCK!!

Anonymous said...

I was just reading that you are going on Fall Break, while our Spring Breaks are misaligned, it looks like our Fall Breaks are at the same time as I have next week off! Doh! Ah well, have a good trip to my home country!

Anonymous said...

I love Bad Durkheim!!! so cute, no? ....now you're just making me downright jealous. But! WE got snow today :-) Chloe said there was a big happy celebration on the playground, as it started flurrying during morning recess. Good thing we got our winter coats out this week -- how are the long underwear working out for you?

Nikki said...

The long underwear are great!! And fit perfectly. I've worn all three shirts at least two days in a row apiece (hmm); they work great as outer-wear, too. Thank you!!! It's not yet cold enough to try out the leggings, but it will be.

Though not cold enough to snow! That is so exciting! And how nice of Mother Nature to grant it to a bunch of happy kids on a playground. They say this is the "warmest" region in Germany, which means we'll just get that oh-so-lovely cold drizzle all winter. Kinda like Seattle... except that Shauna says wet-cold is awful, even if the themometer does say a balmy 20 degrees. Again, I will be glad of my hi-tech skivvies! :D

And you've been to Bad Duerkheim? Wow, this *is* really close to where we all were! Did you go into that restaurant shaped like a giant wine barrel?

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...sounds familiar -- I can picture it, but am not clear on the details because I'm pretty sure we went to the big annual wine fest first.... aahhh to be 24 again! ...but just for a little vacation, not forever!